History of GLGA
Founded in 1927, PII’s membership consisted of nearly 350 companies in Illinois and Indiana, an area that is home to one of the largest concentrations of printers and print-related companies in the United States. PIW was first organized in 1886 as Milwaukee Typothetae and in 125 years expanded to include a number of printing associations. Wisconsin is home to some of the largest printers in the United States. The merger of PII and PIW into GLGA provides members with group-buying discounts, expert resources and tools, a variety of business services, networking opportunities, essential communication and regulatory advocacy.
Printing is a high-tech, graphics-based industry utilizing state-of-the-art technology to produce a wide range of products for a variety of consumer and industrial markets. GLGA printers utilize a number of production processes, including sheetfed and web offset, flexographic, screen and rotogravure. GLGA is an affiliate of the world’s largest graphic arts trade association, the Printing Industries of America, which has more than 6,000 member companies worldwide employing nearly 850,000 individuals.